Subject: Re: bug#22324: 25.0.50; completion-category-defaults style doesn't override completion-styles (gets prepended instead)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 10:10:40 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 01/08/2016 03:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that wasn't clear from the problem description.  Normally,
>> when someone says "the documentation doesn't describe the behavior
>> accurately", they mean the documentation should be updated.
>
> Right, sorry. Poor wording on my part.
>
> But if you were talking about a documentation fix, changing the list
> in `(emacs) Completion Styles' to include `partial-completion' is not
> a good fix semantically, because the result would still contain the
> word "only".

This bug report is a bit on the vague side.

It looks like `partial-completion' is documented in that node?

The subject mentions "doesn't override", but is that about
`completion-category-overrides' instead?

---
This overrides the defaults specified in `completion-category-defaults'."
---

And it does indeed prepend:

(defun completion--category-override (category tag)
  (or (assq tag (cdr (assq category completion-category-overrides)))
      (assq tag (cdr (assq category completion-category-defaults)))))

But...  I think saying that that "overrides" is fine?

So it's unclear what's suggested in this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no