Subject: bug#22313: closed (Re: bug#22313: 24.3; on global-font-lock-mode's documentation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 19:59:01 +0000

Your bug report

#22313: 24.3; on global-font-lock-mode's documentation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22313: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22313
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22313: 24.3; on global-font-lock-mode's documentation
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Bastos <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 21:58:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Daniel Bastos <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 17:17:35 -0200
> 
> I'm really sorry.  I didn't pay enough attention.  For what it's worth,
> I suppose the "otherwise" threw me off completely and the following
> sentences didn't take effect in my brain.  I'm sorry.

No need to apologize, mistakes do happen.  I'm glad we had this
figured out.

I'm closing this bug report, then.

Thanks.

Subject: 24.3; on global-font-lock-mode's documentation
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 15:39:36 -0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I ran emacs -Q and so font-lock-mode came up enabled.  Good.  I then ran

  (global-font-lock-mode nil)

and it did turn off.  Looking at the documentation, I read the passage
below.  It makes me think that the argument of nil, since that's not
positive, would disable font-lock-mode, but it doesn't.  The function
really needs a negative argument.  The documentation should be fixed.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
global-font-lock-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`font-core.el'.

(global-font-lock-mode &optional ARG)

Toggle Font-Lock mode in all buffers.
With prefix ARG, enable Global-Font-Lock mode if ARG is positive;
otherwise, disable it.  If called from Lisp, enable the mode if
ARG is omitted or nil.

Font-Lock mode is enabled in all buffers where
`turn-on-font-lock-if-desired' would do it.
See `font-lock-mode' for more information on Font-Lock mode.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: PTB
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
( g l o b a l - f o n t - l o c k - m o d e SPC n i 
l ) C-x C-e <return> <return> C-u C-h f g l o b a l 
- f o n t - l o c k - m o d e <return> M-x i n s e 
r t SPC b u f <tab> <return> <return> C-x 1 <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
t
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu help-fns time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)