Subject: bug#22309: closed (Re: 25.1.50; Bad input method description with spurious \= escapes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22309: 25.1.50; Bad input method description with spurious \= escapes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22309: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22309
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 25.1.50; Bad input method description with spurious \= escapes
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:12:50 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for reporting this. I reproduce the problem, and installed the attached 
fix into the emacs-25 branch.
>From 5ead1ecb8d084b4fab258c18fcea5233b0a22949 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:09:15 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Fix spurious escapes in describe-input-method
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Problem reported by Vincent Belaïche (Bug#22309).
* lisp/international/mule-cmds.el (describe-language-environment):
* lisp/international/quail.el (quail-help):
Apply substitute-command-keys to doc strings before displaying them.
---
 lisp/international/mule-cmds.el | 2 +-
 lisp/international/quail.el     | 2 +-
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el b/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el
index 79e9c7b..2df847a 100644
--- a/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el
+++ b/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el
@@ -2119,7 +2119,7 @@ describe-language-environment
       (with-current-buffer standard-output
 	(insert language-name " language environment\n\n")
 	(if (stringp doc)
-	    (insert doc "\n\n"))
+	    (insert (substitute-command-keys doc) "\n\n"))
 	(condition-case nil
 	    (let ((str (eval (get-language-info language-name 'sample-text))))
 	      (if (stringp str)
diff --git a/lisp/international/quail.el b/lisp/international/quail.el
index 75cb7f7..f5e3902 100644
--- a/lisp/international/quail.el
+++ b/lisp/international/quail.el
@@ -2516,7 +2516,7 @@ quail-help
 	      ")\n\n")
       (save-restriction
 	(narrow-to-region (point) (point))
-	(insert (quail-docstring))
+	(insert (substitute-command-keys (quail-docstring)))
 	(goto-char (point-min))
 	(with-syntax-table emacs-lisp-mode-syntax-table
 	  (while (re-search-forward "\\\\<\\sw\\(\\sw\\|\\s_\\)+>" nil t)
-- 
2.5.0

Subject: 25.1.50; Bad input method description with spurious \= escapes
From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 09:53:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I get the following for the French postfix input method:

Input method: french-postfix (mode line indicator:FR<)

French (Français) input method with postfix modifiers

\=` pour grave, \=' pour aigu, ^ pour circonflexe, et " pour tréma.
Par exemple: a\=` -> à   e\=' -> é.

I think that the `\=' are spurious, these escapes were added for
docstrings, but they seem to be irrelevant for input method
descriptions.

  Vincent.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-12-16
Repository revision: 23b5c22703eeee7b4fe6608ce12ffe3b87794933
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.10586
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs --without-jpeg
 --without-tiff --without-gif --without-png 'CPPFLAGS= -DFOR_MSW=1 -I
 C:/Programmes/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/include -I
 C:/Programmes/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src -L
 C:/Programmes/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src''

Configured features:
XPM SOUND NOTIFY ACL TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Sending...done
GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2015-12-16
Loading quail/latin-pre...done
Loading quail/latin-post...done
You can run the command ‘set-input-method’ with C-x RET C-\
Mark set [3 times]
You can run the command ‘describe-input-method’ with C-h I
next-line: End of buffer [9 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [13 times]
next-line: End of buffer [10 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [12 times]

Load-path shadows:
c:/Programmes/installation/cedet-install/cedet-git/lisp/speedbar/loaddefs hides c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/loaddefs
c:/Programmes/installation/cedet-install/cedet-git/lisp/speedbar/loaddefs hides c:/Programmes/installation/cedet-install/cedet-git/lisp/cedet/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug quail rect cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nnfolder
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mailcap parse-time vc-cvs hl-line
balance eieio-compat calc-forms dired-aux calc-units calccomp calc-alg
calc-aent calc-menu org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
jka-compr info eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func vc
vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode network-stream nsm starttls tls mailalias
smtpmail auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache qp sort pp
cus-start cus-load mail-extr bbdb-com crm bbdb-message sendmail
gnus-util message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader gud easy-mmode map
seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-extra help-mode dired-x
dired character-fold misearch multi-isearch pcmpl-unix shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring edmacro kmacro skeleton calc-misc calc-arith
calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs tex-mik preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads bbdb bbdb-site timezone bbdb-loaddefs template w32utils
cl-seq cl-macs cl gv recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib easymenu load-path-to-cedet-svn time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 502485 83658)
 (symbols 32 44243 0)
 (miscs 32 1025 1149)
 (strings 16 99414 14427)
 (string-bytes 1 2972823)
 (vectors 8 53570)
 (vector-slots 4 1725433 16046)
 (floats 8 560 526)
 (intervals 28 15557 1931)
 (buffers 516 38))