Subject: bug#22305: closed (Re: bug#22305: 24.5; permanent 100% CPU load for no apparent reason)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 18:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22305: 24.5; permanent 100% CPU load for no apparent reason

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22305: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22305
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22305: 24.5; permanent 100% CPU load for no apparent reason
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 13:57:17 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since the best part of a year has passed with no further information,
I'm closing this. Please reopen if you can provide the requested
information.

Subject: 24.5; permanent 100% CPU load for no apparent reason
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 10:48:02 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lately emacs gives me some strange problem, where according to `top'
the CPU load due to the emacs process goes up to a permanent value
of 100% (and I notice this because the laptop fan starts spinning
loudly), whereas according to `ps' the emacs process continues to
give rise to only a marginal CPU load.  While this happens, emacs
responds normally, so it appears that emacs is not trying to do
anything unusual in the background.

I did not have this problem while I was using emacs 24.5 under
ubuntu 14.04.  It only appeared lately when I upgraded to a new
laptop running ubuntu 15.10.  I am not aware of any significant
change in my emacs configuration since I made this switch.

What can I do to pin this down further?  So far, I have not noticed
anything that triggers this behavior reproducibly and my workaround
has been to restart emacs.  But that's not nice for a recurring
problem (about once per day).

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7)
 of 2015-11-24 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.10

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix