Subject: 24.5; toggle-truncate-lines not mentioned in docstring for truncate-lines nor in elisp manual

From: phs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 10:30:17 +0100

In general, changing the value of `truncate-lines' should be done via 
`toggle-truncate-lines' not by `(setq truncate-lines ..)'

However the documentation string for `truncate-lines' does not mention 
the existence of `toggle-truncate-lines', nor is it mentioned in the
elisp manual (section "37.3 Truncation").

It seems that modifying `truncate-lines' with just `(setq ..)' may 
suffer from redisplay problems, see 
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/19228 for a way to trip the 
problem from emacs -Q.

--phs

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
  of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
  `configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application 
Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: en_US
   value of $LANG: en_US
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

-- 
Philippe SCHNOEBELEN,       	                  www.lsv.ens-cachan.fr/~phs
LSV, CNRS UMR 8643 & ENS de Cachan   		  Tel: (+33/0) 147 407 530
"Algebraic symbols are used when you do not know what you are talking about"