Subject: bug#22300: 25.1.50; Dired -- renaming folders/files to CamelCase/UPPERCASE/lowercase.

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 16:47:32 -0800 (PST)

> Since this is not an Emacs bug, I'm closing this report, but here is what I
> do that should work for you:
> 
>   1. Rename the file to 'x'.
>   2. Rename 'x' to the correctly cased name.
> 
> Copy the name to the kill-ring before #1, so that you can paste it in when
> asked by #2.

Hm.  I'm curious.  How do we know that this is not an Emacs bug?

I do not understand why this is his error msg:

    Move '/Users/HOME/Desktop/FOO' to '/Users/HOME/Desktop/foo/FOO' failed:
                              ^^^                          ^^^^^^^
      (file-error Renaming Invalid argument 
       /Users/HOME/Desktop/FOO/Users/HOME/Desktop/foo/FOO)

That looks peculiar, if all he did was hit `R' on a directory name.
That message seems to be saying that Emacs asked the OS to move
directory .../FOO to .../foo/FOO.  That doesn't seem like the right
thing for Emacs to do.  Seems like Emacs should have asked the OS
to move .../FOO to .../foo (without the trailing /FOO).

Am I missing something?

Also, I see from Keith's StackExchange question about this that
he is able to use `mv FOO foo' to do the renaming without a problem.
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/19234/105