Subject: bug#22299: Obsolete selective-display

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 18:22:50 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> should it be marked as such?  And the usages either removed (from the
>> callers) or warnings suppressed (in simple.el etc).
>
> The problem is that the var has 2 uses:
> - one is the obsolete value `t` whereby \r.* is hidden
> - the other is when it's set to an integer N whereby it hides lines with
>   a deeper indentation than N.

Oh, I see.  I should have read that node in the manual.  :-)

Anyway, I've grepped through the Emacs tree, and I can't find any places
where we're binding/setting `selective-display' to t, so there indeed
doesn't seem to be any usages of the obsolete form.

> The second one is a UI functionality and it's sufficiently "not terribly
> useful" that nobody bothered to write a replacement for it using
> overlays (instead, all the possible replacements provide a more tailored
> functionality).

Right.  So if we don't want to obsolete the other form (and Eli says he
uses it all the time, so it doesn't sound like we want to), then I guess
there's nothing more to be done here?  So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no