Subject: bug#22295: viper-mode undo bug introduced between Nov 10 and Nov 14

From: Michael Kifer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 09:58:51 -0400

On 05/17/2016 04:52 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:

Michael Kifer <[email-masked]> writes:

On 05/16/2016 05:50 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
OK. I don't remember this very clearly but there are cases (which I
don't remember) where viper-mode gets kicked in implicitly for buffers
where the user didn't ask it to and where it is not wanted. Maybe when
one runs emacs in batch mode as a scripting tool.

AFAIK, noninteractive *only* happens in batch. Perhaps there are other
circumstances.

There must have been a need for this at the time, but it might have been a perceived need only.
Could be that emacs -q was enough, as you say.

One can defeat viper-mode in that case using emacs -q, but maybe there
are other cases.

Since I don't remember and since it is not good to have kludges
around, one way to figure it out is to comment out the (not
interactive) part and then see what happens. If and when you see
undesired behavior, then uncomment and document :-)

I might well try that on master. We really need some unit tests for
viper; it was be a shame if Jim's examples just got archived in the bug
tracker.

Sure.