Subject: Re: bug#22295: viper-mode undo bug introduced between Nov 10 and Nov 14

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Lord)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 09:52:07 +0100

Michael Kifer <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 05/16/2016 05:50 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
> OK. I don't remember this very clearly but there are cases (which I
> don't remember) where viper-mode gets kicked in implicitly for buffers
> where the user didn't ask it to and where it is not wanted. Maybe when
> one runs emacs in batch mode as a scripting tool.

AFAIK, noninteractive *only* happens in batch. Perhaps there are other
circumstances.

> One can defeat viper-mode in that case using emacs -q, but maybe there
> are other cases.

> Since I don't remember and since it is not good to have kludges
> around, one way to figure it out is to comment out the (not
> interactive) part and then see what happens. If and when you see
> undesired behavior, then uncomment and document :-)

I might well try that on master. We really need some unit tests for
viper; it was be a shame if Jim's examples just got archived in the bug
tracker.

Phil