Subject: bug#22293: 25.0.50; EWW: Loses on some content on Wikipedia (especially science/math)

From: raman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 09:19:59 -0800

Compare the rendering of this page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

in eww vs  the now ancient W3. I still get more content from W3 than I
do with EWW -- likely because I get all of the alt text fo rthe math
equations which Wikipedia helpfully gives me as LaTeX.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2016-01-01 built on raman-glaptop2
Repository revision: d705dcf68d2dd61b2ee0f7f23e0e218175c9a293
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-silent-rules --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF
GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: WWW

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  midnight-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  jabber-mode-line-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-voice-lock-mode: t
  voice-lock-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Skipping image 401f8cd79101c16dc91fb635ff4fba7c.png
Skipping image bf7cdd990ece2984e9da6550a9a6eead.png
Skipping image 300px-Jahnke_gamma_function.png
Skipping image b59e0428b6ad4f6608fbb32a0fec89f5.png
Skipping image start
Skipping image wikimedia-button.png
Skipping image poweredby_mediawiki_88x31.png
Drawing... done
Stored URL in kill-ring.
Composing a message

Load-path shadows:
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/vm/lisp/vcard hides /home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-vcard-20150713.1350/vcard
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160101.1239/helm-multi-match hides /home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20151231.1143/helm-multi-match
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/vm/lisp/tapestry hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tapestry
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/ssh-20120904.1342/ssh hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/ssh
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/edit-server-20141231.1358/edit-server hides /home/raman/.elisp/edit-server
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/dom hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/dom
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tetris hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/play/tetris
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-archive hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-protocol hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-fortran hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-lob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-ditaa hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-js hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-plot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-gnus hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-matlab hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-ascii hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-sass hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-mscgen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-rmail hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-picolisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-beamer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-ctags hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-agenda hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-id hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-id
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-timer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-indent hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-makefile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-footnote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-irc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-lilypond hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-plantuml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-crypt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-dot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-R hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-eval hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-macro hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-comint hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-calc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-scheme hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-clock hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-ruby hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-html hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-attach hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-awk hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-mhe hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-python hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-macs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-shen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-feed hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-perl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-info hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-info
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-keys hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-man hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-C hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-docview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-odt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-sql hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-md hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-colview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-sqlite hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-capture hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-publish hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-element hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-element
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-texinfo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-java hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-inlinetask hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-tangle hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-mouse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-habit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-entities hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-screen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-octave hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-pcomplete hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-core hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-scala hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-src hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-src
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-mobile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-maxima hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-haskell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-ref hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-datetree hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-version hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-version
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-list hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-list
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-eshell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-io hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-asymptote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-bibtex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-bbdb hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-clojure hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-ledger hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-w3m hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-ocaml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ob-css hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-install hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-install
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/ox-icalendar hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-loaddefs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-faces hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151228/org-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-table
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/racket-mode-20151218.1814/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/emms-20151211.1153/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/subr-x hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/subr-x
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-generic hides /home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/cl-generic-0.2/cl-generic

Features:
(shadow emacsbug rect w3-style w3-imenu emacspeak-imenu imenu
w3-speak-table w3-structure w3-hot ...)

Memory information:
((conses 16 6094940 348755)
 (symbols 48 106291 18)
 (miscs 40 5079 3776)
 (strings 32 499318 49599)
 (string-bytes 1 20544882)
 (vectors 16 124962)
 (vector-slots 8 2730499 131490)
 (floats 8 2319 930)
 (intervals 56 592545 7970)
 (buffers 976 147)
 ...)

--