Subject: Re: bug#22291: 25.1.50; REGRESSION: Emacs 24.3 breaks loading cl-macs to get macro `case'

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 13:31:28 -0800

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Personally I tend to require `cl', and at compile-time only, to get
>> such macros.  But it is entirely reasonable that someone might require
>> `cl-macs' - at runtime or compile time - to get such a macro definition.
>> 
>> And if some user does not compile the code that requires the library
>> that provides the macro, then s?he will now get the entire `cl' at
>> runtime, instead of getting only the much-smaller `cl-macs' at runtime.
>> 
>> > OK?
>> 
>> Not IMHO.

> So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

> From my POV, this is not a bug, but a deliberate change that is well
> documented.

>From the point of view of the bug report, I agree with Eli.

>From the point of view of the issue, I agree with Drew. Drew, let's close this
as a bug, but open a new discussion on better organization of the CL stuff. We
should start the discussion on tangents, until we arrive at something
meaningful to bring to the developer's list.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2