Subject: Re: bug#22250: 25.0.50; Eww fails to break RTL paragraph

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 22:22:34 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:49:25 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > If you can point me to the code which does that, I might find the
> > problem and suggest the solution.
> 
> It's `shr-fill-line'.

Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with eww or shr.  This is the (strange-looking,
but expected) result of displaying a long line of LTR text in a RTL
paragraph with truncate-lines set to t.  Here, try this:

  emacs -Q
  C-x b foo RET
  M-x set-variable RET bidi-paragraph-direction RET right-to-left RET
  M-x set-variable RET truncate-lines RET t RET

Now press and hold 'a', let it fill the window line and hscroll, then
type RET, and repeat for another line.  Finally, type M-<.  You will
see exactly the same display as shown in the original report.  It
should now be clear this has nothing to do with either eww or breaking
paragraphs in HTML pages.

So now I have to ask Benjamin why does he think there's a bug here.
Because I don't see any bug.  I do agree that the display looks
strange, but that's what you get for displaying long lines of LTR text
in a RTL paragraph with truncate-lines set to t.  RTL paragraphs are
for predominantly RTL text, exactly like LTR paragraphs are for
predominantly LTR text.