Subject: 25.0.50; Make eww use display-buffer to display eww buffer

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:54:57 +0100

Hello,

this has been discussed several times, but since Lars is here now, an
official request:

Wouldn't it be better to let eww use display-buffer instead of
switch-to-buffer in several places (at least, when calling eww and
eww-browse-url, probably some more)?  display-buffer's behavior can be
controlled via binding variables, while display-buffer makes the same a
horror.

For example, when I'm reading newspaper feeds from Gnus and want to open
a link with eww in a new pop up frame, I have to use this ugly hack,
ugh:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun my-eww-browse-url-pop-up-frame (url &optional _)
  "My private version of `eww-browse-url', creating a new frame."
  (let ((frame (make-frame '()))
        (buffer (generate-new-buffer "*eww*"))
        win)
    (with-current-buffer buffer
      (eww-mode)
      (eww url))
    (select-frame-set-input-focus frame)
    (setq win (frame-root-window frame))
    (set-window-buffer win buffer)
    frame))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.8 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.5)
 of 2015-12-23
Repository revision: 09053075225fec8a6cf7a72017a6dfc1ec6b6f0c
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11703000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix