Subject: Re: 25.0.50; Make eww use display-buffer to display eww buffer

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:29:12 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not familiar with display-buffer, but by default it seems to work
> like pop-to-buffer?  

I wouldn't say so.  Today, pop-to-buffer is defined in terms of
display-buffer (it calls it).

The semantics of display-buffer are a bit complicated (it's documented
in the manual, but you'll need some minutes to understand the concept) -
but it is highly customizable via user options.  display-buffer can be
controlled on a finer level that in the old days (with variables like
same-window-buffer-names etc.).  AFAIK it's the standard way today to
display a buffer.

User preferences can be overridden/modified/refined at run-time when
calling display-buffer via the optional args.

The default behavior of display-buffer depends on the user options

display-buffer-overriding-action
display-buffer-base-action
display-buffer-fallback-action

With the default values, these functions are tried in order (that's the
default value of `display-buffer-fallback-action'):

(display-buffer--maybe-same-window
 display-buffer-reuse-window
 display-buffer--maybe-pop-up-frame-or-window
 display-buffer-in-previous-window
 display-buffer-use-some-window
 display-buffer-pop-up-frame)

So, in the unconfigured case, the buffer is just displayed in the
selected window.

Regards,

Michael.