Subject: Re: bug#2224: [PATCH] add-log.el: Modularize add-log-current-defun, new types supported

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:38:57 -0400

>> Think about it: why should add-log support be different than say,
>> font-lock, outline, imenu, younameit?  Oh and BTW, this same function
>> can/should be used for which-func-mode.

> ---
> Which Function mode is a global minor mode.  When enabled, the
> current function name is continuously displayed in the mode line,
> in certain major modes.
> ---

> Didn't know about that one.  Seems useful, especially if you're hacking
> on stuff that uses looong functions.  (I've been doing some minor hacks
> on mplayer, and it has, if I recall correctly, a few functions that are
> in the 1500 line region...)

> Anyway, that obviously makes sense.  :-)

>> Of course in js.el it shouldn't be called
>> `add-log-current-defun-type-javascript' but `js--current-defun-name' or
>> something like that.
> --?  Isn't that for internal functions?  These would be used by the
> other packages...

Using them is not a problem: using them directly is a problem.

External packages such as add-log.el will just do (funcall
add-log-current-defun-function) and won't care about the name of
the function.

But if you want to name it js-current-defun-name, that's fine as well,
I don't have a strong preference between the two.

        Stefan