Subject: bug#22238: 25.0.50; isearch symbol search can't find ,@symbol

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 14:55:22 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe that should just be reverted. A more proper fix would make Emacs
> not consider @ as a symbol constituent when it's the first
> character. The "p" in "_ p" apparently tries but fails to do that.

FWIW, there is a similar problem concerning the end of the symbol and
".".

The real-life use case is that I wanted to rename the argument of a
function like this:

(defun el-search--string-matcher (eregexp)
  "Return a compiled match predicate for EREGEXP.
That's a predicate returning non-nil when extended regexp EREGEXP ...

with isearch in symbol mode.  But symbol search doesn't find the
occurrence of "EREGEXP" at the end of the first sentence of the
docstring.  Again, strictly speaking the behavior is as documented I
think ("."  is a symbol constituent), but this also again foils the
purpose of symbol matching in "real-life".  And again, the situation can
be ambiguous in rare cases.

Michael.