Subject: bug#22221: closed (Re: bug#22221: 25.0.50; shell cmd with >8 lines complains not-this-window is void)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22221: 25.0.50; shell cmd with >8 lines complains not-this-window is void

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22221: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22221
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22221: 25.0.50; shell cmd with >8 lines complains not-this-window is void
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:48:38 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Confirmed, it works now.  Thanks.

Bug closed.

Thanks, martin

Subject: 25.0.50; shell cmd with >8 lines complains not-this-window is void
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:15:24 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>From "emacs -Q", if I set debug-on-error to t and then do

  M-! head -9 ~/.profile RET

I get

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable not-this-window)
  display-message-or-buffer(#<buffer *Shell Command Output*>)
  #[0 "r\302q\210\301\242\204
\305\202(\301\242;\203\306\307\301\242\"\202(\301\242\310\232?\205(\306\311\301\242\")r\302q\210deV)\2039\312\302!\207\300\203Y\310\313\314\300!8W\203Y\306\315\f\203T\306\316\f\"\202U\317\"\202Z\320\301\242\204e\321\322!\202\207\301\242\310\232\203s\321\323\"\202\207\301\242;\203\201\321\324\301\242\"\202\207\321\325\301\242#\207" [nil (0) #<buffer *Shell Command Output*> mode-line-process shell-command-default-error-buffer " - Error" format " - Signal [%s]" 0 " - Exit [%d]" display-message-or-buffer 7 file-attributes "some error output%s" " to the \"%s\" buffer" "" "no output" message "(Shell command failed with error)" "(Shell command succeeded with %s)" "(Shell command killed by signal %s)" "(Shell command failed with code %d and %s)"] 5]()
  shell-command-on-region(192 192 "head -9 ~/.profile" nil nil nil)
  shell-command("head -9 ~/.profile" nil nil)
  funcall-interactively(shell-command "head -9 ~/.profile" nil nil)
  call-interactively(shell-command nil nil)
  command-execute(shell-command)

If I use -8 instead of -9, I get the output that I expect.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2015-12-21
Repository revision: 33efb6d60614131e1504b29885bf8b82f7c1b3cb
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.2 (jessie)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/new/upstream'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

HOST=`uname -n`; export HOST

# A short check time is okay, since this should only catch
# locally-generated mail.
MAILCHECK=60
export MAILCHECK
Symbol’s value as variable is void: not-this-window
t
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib debug shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85013 8780)
 (symbols 48 19447 0)
 (miscs 40 56 135)
 (strings 32 14675 4669)
 (string-bytes 1 429748)
 (vectors 16 11465)
 (vector-slots 8 420135 4396)
 (floats 8 144 69)
 (intervals 56 236 0)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 10425 1376))