Subject: bug#2222: 23.0.90; Labels in RMAIL

From: Xavier Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:55:49 +0100

Richard M Stallman wrote:

   > If Rmail adds this special message
   > only when the file has messages with labels,

   I think adding a "special message" just so you can offer completion of
   labels (in the case where you don't want to generate a summary) is
   overly complex and generally not a good idea.

I do not agree and as far as I know, label completion is not
working until a label "has been activated during the rmail
session" -i.e. it has nothing to do with summary generation.

Apart this solution and a an third-party index file, how would you
do that ? (Parsing is not the right solution given the fact rmail
files can be quite huge; mine is currently 10K messages ~190Mb).
We must implement something like a TOC inside rmail file and
ideally in a form that would not prevent user on using other mbox
readers to work reliably.

If the addition is not the right thing, maybe an index file
following mbox file naming convention would not hurt:

INBOX.mbox -> INBOX.idx ?

Or a global index file referencing all *already* visited mbox
files with their list of LABELS ? This does not sound complicated
to implement this, does it ?

WDYT ?

	Xavier
-- 
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org
http://www.lolica.org