Subject: Re: bug#22214: 25.0.50; lock up with gui dialogs and clipmon-mode

From: Brian Burns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 01:29:07 -0600

It looks like the gui menu runs through timer_check to check for any emacs
timers, and when the clipmon timer is triggered, it checks the x selection,
which also runs through timer_check. Putting the clipmon timer through that
routine twice might be throwing things off - it seems like it's the second
pass which get stuck in an endless loop.

I'm not positive about that though - I'm still learning my way around the
system and gdb. I'll keep tracing through it - I've been wanted to learn
more about Emacs internals so I could work on them someday, and this looks
like as good a place as any to start...

Brian

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Brian Burns <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 01:43:39 -0600
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> >
> > I looked at some of the internals - as Eli said there's an event loop
> for the x
> > dialog that also checks the existing Emacs timers, which in this case
> would be
> > checking the x selection and starting another timer.
>
> What I don't understand is how menus enter the picture, since the
> lockup doesn't happen unless a menu is open.
>
> Understanding that might be an important step towards finding a
> solution.
>