Subject: Re: bug#22213: 24.5; please allow specification or elimination of timestamp in autoloads

From: David Bremner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 15:49:22 -0400

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> David Bremner wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately update-directory-autoloads uses (current-time), which
>> effectively means this unpacking is different every time.
>
> Actually it doesn't, since 5200c2baefbc8:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-06/msg00357.html

Aha, thanks for the pointer (and the work it points to).

>
> So long as the timestamps of your inputs are fixed, the output should
> not vary. I would be interested to hear if this solves the problem for you.

It changes the problem to one of managing timestamps of files. This is
probably easier than the current situation, but not completely trivial,
since e.g. both git checkout and build systems that copy files will
modify timestamps.

Cheers,

David