Subject: Re: bug#22209: name resolution failures in installer image

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 03:45:06 -0500

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 09:04:41AM +0100, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> After booting the installer image, doing the ifconfig/dhclient dance,
> preparing the target fs, mounting it and starting the guix system init
> invocation at some point in time, though not predictably so, but
> usually after a couple of minutes (about 10 or so) name resolution
> will start to fail causing guix system init to fail.

A little more information:

I was installing on i686 bare metal from the current USB installation
image.

I installed vim in the installation environment, and then when I
tried to run `guix system init...` I couldn't resolve hydra.gnu.org,
google.com, and a few other sites. I could resolve the domain
famulari.name, but not another domain that points to the same machine.

I installed dig and could successfully query the nameserver described in
/etc/resolv.conf for hydra.gnu.org.

I never have name resolution problems on this network with my other
machines.

I decided to edit /etc/hosts so I could continue with the installation.
If anyone has any ideas about how to debug this, I'm happy to help.