Subject: name resolution failures in installer image

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:04:41 +0100

Hi,

this occurs over and over to me and I saw other people's reports on
IRC, too:

After booting the installer image, doing the ifconfig/dhclient dance,
preparing the target fs, mounting it and starting the guix system init
invocation at some point in time, though not predictably so, but
usually after a couple of minutes (about 10 or so) name resolution
will start to fail causing guix system init to fail.

killall dhclient; dhclient <your_interface_name_here>

and a subsequent invocation to guix system init will make the
installation continue and usually succeed.

On the first few occasions it seemed to me that my local network could
be at fault, but it's _almost_ reliably reproducable in qemu,
virtualbox and even on bare metal and is not limited to myself (check
the channel logs with some good search queries).

So it might be worth looking into.

The installed system does not have this problem after a reboot.

Regards,
Flo

- -- 
https://fps.io