Subject: bug#22209: closed (Re: bug#22209: name resolution failures in installer image)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 20:28:03 +0000

Your bug report

#22209: name resolution failures in installer image

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22209: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22209
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22209: name resolution failures in installer image
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Florian Paul Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 22:26:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Could this be related to cached resolution failures in nscd?  Have you
>>> tried restarting the nscd service?
>>
>> That sounds likely.
>>
>> Nscd caches negative lookups, but normally only for 20 seconds (see
>> %nscd-minimal-caches in (gnu system install)).  So if you look up
>> hydra.gnu.org before the network is set up, it’ll remember for 20s that
>> this is a lookup failure, even if you’ve set up the network in the
>> meantime.
>
> Commit c96ba2c disables caching of lookup failures altogether.

0.10.0 uses this fix and we haven’t heard from name resolution failures
in the installer image, so I’m closing it.

Ludo’.

Subject: name resolution failures in installer image
From: Florian Paul Schmidt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:04:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

this occurs over and over to me and I saw other people's reports on
IRC, too:

After booting the installer image, doing the ifconfig/dhclient dance,
preparing the target fs, mounting it and starting the guix system init
invocation at some point in time, though not predictably so, but
usually after a couple of minutes (about 10 or so) name resolution
will start to fail causing guix system init to fail.

killall dhclient; dhclient <your_interface_name_here>

and a subsequent invocation to guix system init will make the
installation continue and usually succeed.

On the first few occasions it seemed to me that my local network could
be at fault, but it's _almost_ reliably reproducable in qemu,
virtualbox and even on bare metal and is not limited to myself (check
the channel logs with some good search queries).

So it might be worth looking into.

The installed system does not have this problem after a reboot.

Regards,
Flo

- -- 
https://fps.io