Subject: bug#22209: name resolution failures in installer image

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:54:40 +0100

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

>> Could this be related to cached resolution failures in nscd?  Have you
>> tried restarting the nscd service?
>
> That sounds likely.
>
> Nscd caches negative lookups, but normally only for 20 seconds (see
> %nscd-minimal-caches in (gnu system install)).  So if you look up
> hydra.gnu.org before the network is set up, it’ll remember for 20s that
> this is a lookup failure, even if you’ve set up the network in the
> meantime.

Commit c96ba2c disables caching of lookup failures altogether.

Could you try again to reproduce it?  (I think Florian wrote in the
initial bug report that this was reproducible in QEMU, so using
‘guix system vm gnu/system/install.scm’ might suffice.)

Alternately we could remove nscd altogether, but I think it’s still
somewhat useful to cache successful lookups.

TIA,
Ludo’.