Subject: bug#19889: closed (Re: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 20:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22207: tex-verbatim face: don't specify :family?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22207: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22207
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 13:48:50 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just now attempted to reproduce this bug on emacs-25, and could not 
reproduce it; the display looks OK (see attached). Although I am still 
running Fedora 23 x86-64, I have installed several packages since the 
original bug report in December so it's possible that the problem has 
gone away because some new fonts have been installed. Another 
possibility is that the bug has been fixed in draft Emacs 25 somehow. 
Either way, I will close this particular bug report now as I can't 
reproduce it.

Subject: tex-verbatim face: don't specify :family?
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:39:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Version: 24.4
Severity: minor

The tex-verbatim face is defined as

   '((t :family "courier"))

Is this a good idea?

AFAICS, it is the only face definition in Emacs that specifies a :family.
It seems to cause problems on some systems, see:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=684797

For me on RHEL7, that faces looks poor (blocky/pixellated) compared to
the other faces Emacs uses.