Subject: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:57:10 +0200

> From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:28:19 +0100
> 
> On Sat, Dec 19 2015, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> >> fc-match "Monospace"
> >> >
> >> > How will that help?  Someone, somewhere will still dislike the result.
> >> 
> >> Mono(space) is a fontconfig alias, it's explicitly selected in
> >> a configuration file[*] and users are supposed to override it if they don't
> >> like it.
> >
> > That means an even more complex mess: suppose Emacs will use some
> > fixed-pitch font from that alias, and the user doesn't like it -- now
> > the user will have to be familiar not only with font specs for
> > customizing faces, but also with the fontconfig customizations and
> > configuration files.  Doesn't strike me as a particularly
> > user-friendly feature.
> 
> fc-match returns a single match.

You can use the --all switch to countermand that, AFAIK.

> Also, emacs does know about fontconfig aliases (info "(emacs) Fonts").

Doesn't this mean that your comments about fontconfig customizations
are not relevant to the issue at hand?  AFAIU, Glenn mentioned
fc-match as a way to explain what he meant, he didn't really mean
Emacs to run that command.  If Emacs cannot use its output, then its
configuration by users will never affect us.

And we are back to the original issue: suppose Emacs does run the
_equivalent_ of the above (I mentioned one way of doing it in Emacs):
is there any doubt that someone somewhere will find the results not to
her liking and would like to see the Info-quote face identical to the
rest of the text in an Info buffer?  If so, then trying to use a
fixed-pitch font, even if it's other than Courier, will never succeed
to be a "one size fits all" solution.