Subject: Re: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:28:19 +0100

On Sat, Dec 19 2015, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> >> fc-match "Monospace"
>> >
>> > How will that help?  Someone, somewhere will still dislike the result.
>> 
>> Mono(space) is a fontconfig alias, it's explicitly selected in
>> a configuration file[*] and users are supposed to override it if they don't
>> like it.
>
> That means an even more complex mess: suppose Emacs will use some
> fixed-pitch font from that alias, and the user doesn't like it -- now
> the user will have to be familiar not only with font specs for
> customizing faces, but also with the fontconfig customizations and
> configuration files.  Doesn't strike me as a particularly
> user-friendly feature.

fc-match returns a single match.  Also, emacs does know about fontconfig
aliases (info "(emacs) Fonts").  The problem is that specifying an alias
name as the family attribute doesn't always work as expected (because
emacs font selection weighs font attributes in a different way).

For example, on my system

$ fc-match Serif
NotoSerif-Regular.ttf: "Noto Serif" "Regular"
$ 

However, if I customize the Info-quoted face replacing "courier" by
"Serif" I get

xft:-unknown-Sawasdee-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

Not a big problem, but just to elaborate a bit on Glenn's suggestion.