Subject: bug#22201: vc-dwim 1.7 problems on Fedora 23

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 23:15:05 -0800

When I run vc-dwim 1.7 on my newly-installed Fedora 23 box, vc-dwim complains. 
E.g., 'vc-dwim --help' says:

Name "main::SAVE_ERR" used only once: possible typo at 
/home/eggert/opt/Linux-x86_64/merged/bin/vc-dwim line 286.
Name "main::SAVE_OUT" used only once: possible typo at 
/home/eggert/opt/Linux-x86_64/merged/bin/vc-dwim line 276.

before going on to output the real help. I assume this is some new Perl feature 
that vc-dwim needs to be ported to. Here is the output of 'perl -V':

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 22 subversion 1) configuration:

   Platform:
     osname=linux, osvers=4.3.0-1.fc24.x86_64, archname=x86_64-linux-thread-multi
     uname='linux buildvm-04-nfs.phx2.fedoraproject.org 4.3.0-1.fc24.x86_64 #1 
smp mon nov 2 16:27:20 utc 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 gnulinux '
     config_args='-des -Doptimize=none -Dccflags=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall 
-Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions 
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches  -m64 
-mtune=generic -Dldflags=-Wl,-z,relro  -Dccdlflags=-Wl,--enable-new-dtags 
-Wl,-z,relro  -Dlddlflags=-shared -Wl,-z,relro  -Dshrpdir=/usr/lib64 
-DDEBUGGING=-g -Dversion=5.22.1 -Dmyhostname=localhost 
-Dperladmin=root@localhost -Dcc=gcc -Dcf_by=Red Hat, Inc. -Dprefix=/usr 
-Dvendorprefix=/usr -Dsiteprefix=/usr/local -Dsitelib=/usr/local/share/perl5 
-Dsitearch=/usr/local/lib64/perl5 -Dprivlib=/usr/share/perl5 
-Dvendorlib=/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl -Darchlib=/usr/lib64/perl5 
-Dvendorarch=/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl -Darchname=x86_64-linux-thread-multi 
-Dlibpth=/usr/local/lib64 /lib64 /usr/lib64 -Duseshrplib -Dusethreads 
-Duseithreads -Dusedtrace=/usr/bin/dtrace -Duselargefiles -Dd_semctl_semun 
-Di_db -Ui_ndbm -Di_gdbm -Di_shadow -Di_syslog -Dman3ext=3pm -Duseperlio 
-Dinstallusrbinperl=n -Ubincompat5005 -Uversiononly -Dpager=/usr/bin/less -isr 
-Dd_gethostent_r_proto -Ud_endhostent_r_proto -Ud_sethostent_r_proto 
-Ud_endprotoent_r_proto -Ud_setprotoent_r_proto -Ud_endservent_r_proto 
-Ud_setservent_r_proto -Dscriptdir=/usr/bin -Dusesitecustomize'
     hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
     useithreads=define, usemultiplicity=define
     use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef
     usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
   Compiler:
     cc='gcc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -O2 -g -pipe -Wall 
-Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions 
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 
-mtune=generic -fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include 
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
     optimize='  -g',
     cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -O2 -g -pipe -Wall 
-Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions 
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 
-mtune=generic -fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
     ccversion='', gccversion='5.3.1 20151207 (Red Hat 5.3.1-2)', gccosandvers=''
     intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678, 
doublekind=3
     d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16, 
longdblkind=3
     ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
     alignbytes=8, prototype=define
   Linker and Libraries:
     ld='gcc', ldflags ='-Wl,-z,relro  -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib'
     libpth=/usr/local/lib64 /lib64 /usr/lib64 /usr/local/lib /usr/lib 
/lib/../lib64 /usr/lib/../lib64 /lib
     libs=-lpthread -lresolv -lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc 
-lgdbm_compat
     perllibs=-lpthread -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
     libc=libc-2.22.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
     gnulibc_version='2.22'
   Dynamic Linking:
     dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, 
ccdlflags='-Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,-z,relro '
     cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -Wl,-z,relro  -L/usr/local/lib 
-fstack-protector-strong'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
   Compile-time options: HAS_TIMES MULTIPLICITY PERLIO_LAYERS
                         PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV
                         PERL_HASH_FUNC_ONE_AT_A_TIME_HARD
                         PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT PERL_MALLOC_WRAP
                         PERL_NEW_COPY_ON_WRITE PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV
                         USE_64_BIT_ALL USE_64_BIT_INT USE_ITHREADS
                         USE_LARGE_FILES USE_LOCALE USE_LOCALE_COLLATE
                         USE_LOCALE_CTYPE USE_LOCALE_NUMERIC USE_LOCALE_TIME
                         USE_PERLIO USE_PERL_ATOF USE_REENTRANT_API
                         USE_SITECUSTOMIZE
   Locally applied patches:
	Fedora Patch1: Removes date check, Fedora/RHEL specific
	Fedora Patch3: support for libdir64
	Fedora Patch4: use libresolv instead of libbind
	Fedora Patch5: USE_MM_LD_RUN_PATH
	Fedora Patch6: Skip hostname tests, due to builders not being network capable
	Fedora Patch7: Dont run one io test due to random builder failures
	Fedora Patch15: Define SONAME for libperl.so
	Fedora Patch16: Install libperl.so to -Dshrpdir value
	Fedora Patch22: Document Math::BigInt::CalcEmu requires Math::BigInt (CPAN 
RT#85015)
	Fedora Patch26: Make *DBM_File desctructors thread-safe (RT#61912)
	Fedora Patch27: Make PadlistNAMES() lvalue again (CPAN RT#101063)
	Fedora Patch28: Make magic vtable writable as a work-around for Coro (CPAN 
RT#101063)
	Fedora Patch200: Link XS modules to libperl.so with EU::CBuilder on Linux
	Fedora Patch201: Link XS modules to libperl.so with EU::MM on Linux
   Built under linux
   Compiled at Dec 14 2015 11:15:12
   @INC:
     /usr/local/lib64/perl5
     /usr/local/share/perl5
     /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
     /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
     /usr/lib64/perl5
     /usr/share/perl5
     .