Subject: bug#222: isearch-repeat-forward: wrong overlay after failure

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:48:58 +0100

On 11 May 2008, at 17:59, Juri Linkov wrote:
>
> `isearch-repeat-forward' is not an entry point to the incremental  
> search:
> it doesn't activate isearch mode neither deactivates it.  IIUC, it was
> never intended for non-incremental search, so it doesn't guarantee to
> work when isearch mode is not active.
>
> If you want to find the next occurrence without highlighting it
> and without activating isearch mode, you can use the command
> `search-forward'.

isearch-repeat-forward is interactive, which is why I thought it would  
be a decent entry point.
It works beautifully, except when you switch buffers and when  
nonsensical text is highlighted.

Something like  (search-forward isearch-string) works too, as long as  
the match is visualized.  That's what I'm doing now; thanks for  
pointing out this (better) variant.