Subject: bug#222: isearch-repeat-forward: wrong overlay after failure

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 00:54:29 +0200

David Reitter <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 11 May 2008, at 17:59, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>
>> `isearch-repeat-forward' is not an entry point to the incremental
>> search:
>> it doesn't activate isearch mode neither deactivates it.  IIUC, it was
>> never intended for non-incremental search, so it doesn't guarantee to
>> work when isearch mode is not active.
>>
>> If you want to find the next occurrence without highlighting it
>> and without activating isearch mode, you can use the command
>> `search-forward'.
>
> isearch-repeat-forward is interactive, which is why I thought it would
> be a decent entry point.

Which I would call a reasonable expectation.  However, keybindings even
in specialized keymaps need to be bound to interactive functions.  So if
we have functions that are only intended for use in specialized keymaps,
there is no way to keep people from binding them to normal keymaps.

So it is sort of a combined documentation/expectation problem.  I have
no good idea how to approach this.

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum