Subject: bug#22196: Ansible, python executable on remote host

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 15:12:44 +0100

Hi!

Al McElrath <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I had some trouble with ansible that I'd like to share. I believe it
> tries to use the same path to the python executable on the remote host
> as exists locally, which is problematic for guix:
>
> '/bin/sh: 1: /gnu/store/5isi4xqg1jr5rqbr6pfap28fw5116dnr-python-2.7.10/bin/python: not found'

Oops, indeed.

> workaround in the form of a setting to specify the remote python path,
> "ansible_python_interpreter":
>
> http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/intro_inventory.html#list-of-behavioral-inventory-parameters
>
> Not quite a bug, but maybe this will help someone else.

I’m guessing we could at least change the default value.  Would it be
possible to set the default value of ‘ansible_python_interpreter’ to
just ‘python’, hoping that it will be searched for in $PATH on the
remote host?

Sounds like the most viable option.

Thanks for your report!

Ludo’.