Subject: Problem with next-line/previous-line when line-move-visual is t

From: Lele Gaifax <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 19:08:06 +0100

Hi all,

I notice a problem in current emacs-25, commit
1b5630eb47d3f4bade09708c958ab006b83b3fc0: in an "emacs -Q" session, executing
M-x list-packages, I'm presented the *Packages* buffer, where the first four
lines are:

  ace-window         0.9.0         available  Quickly switch windows.
  ack                1.5           available  interface to ack-like tools
  ada-mode           5.1.8         available  major-mode for editing Ada sources
  ada-ref-man        2012.0        available  Ada Reference Manual 2012

When I position the cursor on the first letter of the names (i.e., on the
letter “a” of “ace-window”), I can move around with “n” and “p” freely, as
expected.

If I move the cursor on the last “w” character of “ace-window” and hit “n”,
the cursor goes to the next line, column 6 (that is, after “ack” under the
first “w” of “ace-window”) and a subsequent “n” does not move the cursor to
the third line.

If instead I move the cursor on the ending “n” of “ada-ref-man” and hit “p”,
the cursor moves to the third line, column 11 (after “ada-mode”, above last
“a” of “ada-ref-man”). Hitting “p” again, the cursor ends in the first row
(thus skipping the second!), remaining at column 11.

Repeating the same steps after evaluating (setq line-move-visual nil), the
cursor “visits” every line, even if it jumps to the first character of the
version column when the name below/above the current one is shorter.

I'm not able to determine if the problem is related to the package-menu-mode
or instead to the more general tabulated-list-mode.

Hope this is clear enough,

best regards,
ciao, lele.
-- 
nickname: Lele Gaifax | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.
[email-masked]  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.