Subject: bug#22189: 25.1.50; [PATCH] Add `global-goto-address-mode' and `global-goto-address-prog-mode'

From: Vaidheeswaran C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 15:02:32 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Usefulnesss is the only rationale.
>
> I was asking for more details about the usefulness part.  Please humor
> me, it's important for me to hear the arguments in favor of including
> your submission.

I want the URL (wherever and whenever they occour) in buffers clickable.
`global-goto-address-mode' does just that.  (I can live without
`global-goto-address-prog-mode').

A simple `rgrep' on the lisp files gives me 971 hits for the `http://'
URLs.  This is a number AFTER flushing out the lines that match
`http://www.gnu.org/licenses/'.

I would like to hear what alternatives you have to offer for
`global-goto-address-mode' that matches it SIMPLICITY.

Btw, if the change I propose moves to my .emacs, it cannot be used by a
Random Joe out there.  When I submitted the patch, I went with "If it is
useful for me, it is useful for atleast someother person out there".

If the real concern is bloat, it would be useful to think along the
lines of what mis-feature it might bring AFTER THE FACT.  (Think
`hi-lock-exclude-modes').