Subject: Re: bug#22189: 25.1.50; [PATCH] Add `global-goto-address-mode' and `global-goto-address-prog-mode'

From: Vaidheeswaran C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:06:38 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm serious: we don't have any rule that says each minor mode should
> have a corresponding globalized minor mode.  Users can trivially do in
> their ~/.emacs what you do in your patch, so we should have some
> rationale for having such a global mode as part of Emacs.  

Of all the minor modes, what criteria do the minor modes below all share
so that they are global?  Once we such a set of rules, we can see
whether patch I submitted makes through the gate.

./progmodes/cwarn.el:339: global-cwarn-mode
./progmodes/prog-mode.el:285: global-prettify-symbols-mode
./linum.el:112: global-linum-mode linum-mode
./simple.el:6563: global-visual-line-mode
./hilit-chg.el:971: global-highlight-changes-mode
./font-core.el:268: global-font-lock-mode
./hi-lock.el:399: global-hi-lock-mode

Your definition of "bloat" (as I see it) is this: If it can be in
.emacs, it can be a bloat.  Given your definition of bloat, cannot the
above lines also reside in .emacs?  Shouldn't this alone make the above
lines a bloat?

> Please show such a rationale.

Usefulnesss is the only rationale.  Of course, do not forget the
ubiquity of URLs in buffers.