Subject: 24.4; emacs --daemon crashes when ssh is disconnected. I am using lucid x toolkit.

From: Cody Addison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 22:05:54 -0600

I am using emacs in server mode on a remote machine. The intent is to
have a persistent emacs session that I can reconnect to.

Here are the steps I typically do:
% ssh <machine>
% tmux attach (This step doesn't seem important. I've tried this with and
without tmux).
% emacs --daemon
% emacsclient -n -c
% tmux detach
% exit

At this point the server is toast.

I am using cygwin on Windows 7 for the ssh client and X server. I have
also tried emacs 24.5 with no success. I have tried multiple X tool kits
(athena and motif) with no success.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2015-10-01 on sdocg001
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11704000
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --prefix=/home/a0866938/opt/emacs-24.4 --with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no
 --with-tiff=no'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading delsel...done
Loading paren...done
Loading /home/a0866938/emacs_scripts/tiasm_mode.el (source)...done
Loading
/home/a0866938/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-20080305.34/themes/color-theme-example.el
(source)...done
Loading
/home/a0866938/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-20080305.34/themes/color-theme-example.elc...done
Loading
/home/a0866938/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-20080305.34/themes/color-theme-library.el
(source)...done
Loading
/home/a0866938/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-20080305.34/themes/color-theme-library.elc...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode solarized-theme
solarized-definitions cl-macs color-theme wid-edit cl gv cl-loaddefs
cl-lib jka-compr paren delsel cus-start cus-load color-theme-autoloads
info easymenu package epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 277417 13086)
 (symbols 48 24532 0)
 (miscs 40 40 109)
 (strings 32 43033 16146)
 (string-bytes 1 860921)
 (vectors 16 14072)
 (vector-slots 8 432696 5323)
 (floats 8 174 265)
 (intervals 56 220 210)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 41052 1153))