Subject: 25.1.50; 'tabs' in 'whitespace-style' doesn't work

From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:43:46 +0600

‘tabs’ in ‘whitespace-style’ doesn't work. Tabs are not visualized. Here
is relevant section of my config:

(setq whitespace-style '(face trailing tabs empty lines-tail indentation))

On the other hand ‘tab-mark’ works, it shows all occurrences of tab
characters, but I don't like what it looks like, I want bright
monolithic rectangles, that's how ‘tabs’ should work, I guess.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.5)
 of 2015-12-08
Repository revision: 6148555ee5a3d0139ae517803718b3e0357933c7
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11800000
Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ελ

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  flycheck-color-mode-line-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  vimish-fold-global-mode: t
  vimish-fold-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  rich-minority-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  highlight-line-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cyphejor-mode: t
  ace-popup-menu-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  modalka-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-fill-mode: 1

Recent messages:
[yas] Loading snippet files from /home/mark/.emacs.d/snippets/haskell-mode
Tab character
Truncate long lines enabled
Mark set
Modalka mode disabled in current buffer
Modalka mode enabled in current buffer
Saving file /home/mark/.emacs.d/mk/mk-minor-modes.el...
Wrote /home/mark/.emacs.d/mk/mk-minor-modes.el
Quit
<menu> C-g is undefined

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils browse-url
ace-window vc vc-dispatcher haskell-doc inf-haskell haskell-decl-scan
imenu shell pcomplete haskell haskell-completions haskell-load
haskell-commands highlight-uses-mode haskell-modules haskell-sandbox
haskell-repl haskell-debug haskell-interactive-mode
haskell-presentation-mode haskell-collapse haskell-navigate-imports
haskell-compile haskell-process haskell-session url-util json map
haskell-hoogle haskell-font-lock smartparens-haskell haskell-mode
haskell-indentation haskell-string haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme
haskell-align-imports haskell-compat haskell-complete-module noutline
outline flymake etags xref project compile comint dabbrev ansi-color
hl-line dired vc-git diff-mode bookmark pp aggressive-indent easy-mmode
rainbow-delimiters disp-table whitespace hl-todo flyspell ispell
flycheck-color-mode-line face-remap flycheck-haskell haskell-cabal
haskell-utils haskell-customize mk-visual smart-mode-line
solarized-dark-theme solarized mk-texinfo mk-tex mk-shakespeare
mk-prolog mk-org mk-markdown mk-man mk-magit mk-lisp mk-js mk-ibuffer
mk-html mk-haskell flycheck find-func rx mk-gnus mk-eshell mk-erc
mk-elisp mk-dired mk-clojure kill-or-bury-alive mk-calendar mk-c
mk-minor-modes common-lisp-snippets yasnippet cl whole-line-or-region
vimish-fold paren rich-minority minibuf-eldef ido-vertical-mode
ido-ubiquitous ido-completing-read+ cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
ido seq highlight-line autorevert filenotify time delsel cyphejor
ace-popup-menu smartparens-config smartparens thingatpt mk-global
modalka quail edmacro kmacro ace-link avy ring mk-python misc server
mk-utils subr-x f dash s ucs-normalize finder-inf tex-site fix-word
advice slime-autoloads info package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 431002 100916)
 (symbols 48 37213 0)
 (miscs 40 234 630)
 (strings 32 80306 51444)
 (string-bytes 1 2216640)
 (vectors 16 61597)
 (vector-slots 8 1822999 244455)
 (floats 8 440 566)
 (intervals 56 2109 326)
 (buffers 976 20)
 (heap 1024 48866 5471))