Subject: bug#22147: Obsolete search-forward-lax-whitespace

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 15:22:27 -0700 (PDT)

> >> I mean a char-folding customization that allows a search
> >> for “ä” match “a”.  Is this already possible?
> >
> > It sounds like you are asking for symmetric char folding: being
> > able to use any of the various A's that make up the A-characters
> > equivalence class as a search pattern and find any of those
> > characters.
> >
> > If so, I implemented that (one way, at least), and in emacs-devel
> > I proposed such behavior as a togglable option.
> >
> > It is trivial to try it, if you like: character-fold+.el.
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/character-fold%2b.el
> >
> > (A toggle command for it, `isearchp-toggle-symmetric-char-fold',
> > is defined in isearch+.el:
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/isearch%2b.el.)
> 
> I'm starting to recollect all the remaining pieces to finish this
> release blocking issue, but I can't download this library,
> because the link is broken and it seems the whole site is down.
> 
> Drew, could you please send the latest version as an attachment?

1. EmacsWiki seems to be up now.  Also, you should be able to get to
what is on EmacsWiki at the EmacsMirror: https://github.com/emacsmirror.
And you should also be able to get my libraries from MELPA.  I've
attached `character-fold+.el' anyway.  Let me know if you also want
to look at `isearch+.el' and you cannot get to it for some reason.

2. More importantly, what I wrote in `character-fold+.el' worked
only at the time I wrote it and for a while thereafter, unfortunately.
Not too long after that, Artur Malabarba rewrote `character-fold.el',
so the code I wrote is no longer appropriate.

I have not had time to look at the (fairly deep) changes he made,
or to imagine what I might do with it to obtain the symmetric
behavior I implemented for the earlier version.

4. Dunno whether what I wrote is needed or helpful for dealing
with this bug.  Perhaps you or Artur can tell.  IIUC, the part
of this bug report that I replied to seemed to be a request for
an extension of what `character-fold.el' does: symmetric folding.
But perhaps I was misunderstanding, because I don't see how that
could be a blocking bug - it was never Artur's intention to
provide symmetric folding, AFAIK.