Subject: bug#22147: Obsolete search-forward-lax-whitespace

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 02:57:42 +0200

>>> (defun my-lax-with-char-fold (s &optional l)
>>>   (character-fold-to-regexp (replace-regexp-in-string "\t\n\r\s+" " " s)
>>> l))
>>>
>>> And then also set search-whitespace-regexp like above.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  Since it works, then maybe better
>> generalize it to allow a mode that supports normalization of
>> the search string, that also will do symmetric char-folding,
>> where e.g. searching for “ä” will match “a”, etc.
>
> I don't know what you mean. IIUC, the current framework already
> supports a "normalizing mode", which is what we just did here, isn't
> it?

I mean a char-folding customization that allows a search
for “ä” match “a”.  Is this already possible?  If yes,
then it should be easy to customize it in such a way that
“\n” will match space “\s” to avoid the need to write own
functions that define an intersection of the existing functions
char-folding and lax-whitespace. IOW, to customize a char-folding
option instead of search-default-regexp-mode?