Subject: Re: bug#22145: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 12:33:26 +0100

Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!

Hi Anders,

> When executing the command line in a shell window, they terminate
> immediately without any output. Also, this is the case when running
> the individual `test' commands.
>
> I mananged to get the "m" command working by placing the point on the
> "Q" in the ert status line, I have attached the result.

Thanks. The ^G output starts after the same command we have discussed
last time, it is not due to your interruption. Likely, the remote
machine rings the bell in order to tell us something. Hmm.

However, the full traces show at least two problems during the
connection initialization:

> 21:26:49.079747 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # Setting coding system to ‘utf-8’ and ‘utf-8-unix’

This shows the settings for `process-coding-system'. The encoding
setting shall not use unix eol conversion.

> 21:26:49.196018 tramp-send-command (6) # stty -a
> 21:26:49.200446 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) # 
> speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
> lflags: icanon isig iexten -echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
> 	-echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
> 	-extproc
> iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -iutf8
> 	-ignbrk brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
> oflags: opost -onlcr -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
> cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
> 	-dtrflow -mdmbuf
> cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
> 	eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
> 	min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = ^T;
> 	stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

As you see, stty uses -iutf8. Don't know, whether this results in
problems. What's the output of "stty -a" in your terminal?

I have committed a patch to the emacs-25 branch, which shall set the
process encoding to `utf-8-mac'. Could you, pls, check? In case it
doesn't work, pls send the whole traces again that I can check whether
the patch did apply correctly (I cannot test on OS X). If not, we could
try to change tty settings.

> -- Anders

Best regards, Michael.