Subject: bug#22145: closed (Re: bug#22145: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 06:53:01 +0000

Your bug report

#22145: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22145: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22145
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22145: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 08:52:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Given, that the last problems related to OS X have been solved by commit
>> df441b362c25c4ad59ea3d83137328d0d4098eaf, I believe we could close this bug.
>> Do you agree?
>
> OK, if you think this is a Nix bug and not an Emacs bug, then I'll take
> responsibility from here for the Nix fix and you can close this issue.

Done. However, I haven't said it is a Nix *bug*. I believe it is rather
a problem with the Nix *environment*.

IIRC, the problem was something like this on hydra.nixos.org years ago:

Tramp needs several programs in $PATH to run correctly. Usually, they are
found on every machine.

Nix does not offer them in general, because they are also tested in the
Nix environment, as part of coreutils or so. Therefore, they could be
found only by the user's local $PATH, which is set by Nix accordingly.

In order to fix this, tramp-tests.el checks whether we are in a Nix
environment (when (getenv "NIX_STORE"), and adds the local $PATH
settings then. Maybe this test does not work on your machine, and
$NIX_STORE isn't set? Then you need to test something else.

You could also add the local $PATH to Tramp's setting mandatory. Just
remove the check (getenv "NIX_STORE"). When it works, we know that this
is your problem (the same I have had years ago), and we must find a
better check for determining a Nix environment.

I do *not* want to add local $PATH settings in general for the tests,
because this would make the test indeterminable.

> Thanks for helping me debug this!

HTH. Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X
From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 07:46:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On OS X, when running the tests in `test/automated' on the emacs-25 branch,
the tramp and auto-revert tests never terminates.

    -- Anders

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17
Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F27))
 of 2015-12-11
Repository revision: 0284660f272a51d17a6f67389a7fa92abf8dec7a
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1348
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-dbus'

Configured features:
ACL ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80575 5846)
 (symbols 48 18772 0)
 (miscs 40 43 120)
 (strings 32 13120 4767)
 (string-bytes 1 375617)
 (vectors 16 10722)
 (vector-slots 8 403919 5574)
 (floats 8 133 46)
 (intervals 56 191 1)
 (buffers 976 11))