Subject: bug#22145: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X

From: Random832 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 08:39:00 -0500

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 04:01, Michael Albinus wrote:
> The test cases manipulate the file names "Γυρίστε το Γαλαξία με Ώτο
> Στοπ",
> "أصبح بوسعك الآن تنزيل نسخة كاملة من موسوعة ويكيبيديا العربية لتصفحها بلا
> اتصال بالإنترنت",
> "银河系漫游指南系列" and "Автостопом по гала́ктике" on the remote machine
> and check, whether everything works as expected.

If I were to guess that the Chinese name works fine and the Greek and
Cyrillic ones do not (don't know enough about the script to make an
immediate guess about the Arabic), would I be right? Or can the test
failure not give you that information?

Have you been following the discussions last month about the issues with
file name completion for local OSX filenames?

The issue is most likely that filenames on OSX are  (in most
circumstances) normalized to turn diacritics into combining characters.
This is undone, on OSX machines, by using the utf-8-hfs (formerly
utf-8-nfd, which was incomplete and may or may not have worked for your
purpose, but the patch for last month's bug replaces it with an alias
for utf-8-hfs) encoding.

> Likely, I could test it without running Emacs on an OSX machine. If
> somebody could give me temporarily a very restricted account on an OSX
> machine, I could use "/ssh:restrictedaccount@osx-machine:/tmp" as test
> target. If the problem is reproducibly with this, I could debug Tramp,
> running on my local machine.

I'll see what I can do this weekend.