Subject: Re: bug#22145: 25.0.50; tramp and auto-revert tests hang on OS X

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 10:01:41 +0100

Random832 <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> 3 unexpected results:
>>>    FAILED  tramp-test32-utf8
>>>    FAILED  tramp-test32-utf8-with-ls
>>>    FAILED  tramp-test32-utf8-with-perl
>>
>> Well, I'm desperate with this. It fails only for OS X. The latest traces
>> from Anders didn't give me a new idea how to fix :-(
>
> What exactly are the tests? How does Tramp make use of the file system
> encoding, if it does at all?

Tramp does nothing special on file encoding, it simply sets LC_ALL to
something utf8 related on the remote machine, and it uses shell
commands like ls and friends, or perl. Works everywhere but on OSX.

The test cases manipulate the file names "Γυρίστε το Γαλαξία με Ώτο Στοπ",
"أصبح بوسعك الآن تنزيل نسخة كاملة من موسوعة ويكيبيديا العربية لتصفحها بلا اتصال بالإنترنت",
"银河系漫游指南系列" and "Автостопом по гала́ктике" on the remote machine
and check, whether everything works as expected.

Likely, I could test it without running Emacs on an OSX machine. If
somebody could give me temporarily a very restricted account on an OSX
machine, I could use "/ssh:restrictedaccount@osx-machine:/tmp" as test
target. If the problem is reproducibly with this, I could debug Tramp,
running on my local machine.

Best regards, Michael.