Subject: bug#22144: --exclude no longer works against arguments with a directory name

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:26:43 +0100

On 2015-12-15 22:24:25 -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >How is the file name defined, then?
> 
> It's built as a string, which is passed to 'open' without worrying
> about realpath.

So, for instance, "foo" and "./foo" are regarded as different?

The way how files are regarded to be the same needs to be clarified.
For instance, some utilities consider the device & inode numbers
(which have their own problems with broken FS implementations).
That's the case of cp (if this has not changed since 2004). That's
also the case of diff (if this has not changed since 2005), but you
know that. :)

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)