Subject: Re: bug#22144: --exclude no longer works against arguments with a directory name

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:59:43 +0100

On 2015-12-11 19:31:46 -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 12/11/2015 05:56 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >or --exclude, the description is clear:
> 
> The description changed in grep 2.22, to match the 2.22 (also,
> 2.6-and-earlier) behavior.

My quote was from the grep 2.22 description (grep 2.22-1 Debian
package). It seems that this has changed later:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/grep.html

which is different:

  Skip files whose name matches the pattern glob, using wildcard
  matching. When searching recursively, skip any subfile whose base
  name matches glob; the base name is the part after the last ‘/’.
  A pattern can use ‘*’, ‘?’, and ‘[’...‘]’ as wildcards, and \ to
  quote a wildcard or backslash character literally.

The documentation is still ambiguous. For the "main case", is this
the canonical name as returned by realpath?

> As you say, the 2.22 behavior does not seem ideal.

By doing a difference for subfiles of a recursive search, this is
even worse!

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)