Subject: Re: bug#22143: 24.5; Emacs blocked on long lines.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 17:01:43 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 06:53:24 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Is this better with so-long.el?

No, I think so-long.el is better, and in any case so-long.el is our
canonical solution (or, rather, band-aid) for this annoying problem.

> etc/PROBLEMS says:
> 
> *** Editing files with very long lines is slow.
> 
> For example, simply moving through a file that contains hundreds of
> thousands of characters per line is slow, and consumes a lot of CPU.
> This is a known limitation of Emacs with no solution at this time.
> 
> Is there anything more we can/should do in this case short of rewriting
> the display engine?

Maybe there is, but I have yet to hear ideas for how to do that.
Ideas are still welcome.

> Does it make sense to track this limitation in a bug report?

We already have one: bug#13675.