Subject: Re: bug#22143: 24.5; Emacs blocked on long lines.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:34:40 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 17:20:48 +0200
> 
> > Practical and detailed proposals, let alone patches, in that direction
> > will be most welcome.
> 
> Sorry about my ignorance, but - are there reliable means of handling
> such buffers other than longlines?  Does longlines always behave sane
> with such files?

I don't know; it's possible.  I know that turning on truncate-lines
sometimes helps, but not always.  Some research is probably needed to
see if longlines-like solution is "good enough".

Also, if we decide that something like longlines is a reasonably good
solution, or the best we can come up with, I think we need a
stripped-down version of it, we don't need all the bells and whistles
of a full-fledged customizable minor mode.