Subject: Re: bug#22143: 24.5; Emacs blocked on long lines.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:00:12 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 16:41:41 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> (First, I don't think this is wishlist.  Isn't it a bug when an editor
> can't open a file or freezes when doing so?)

This bug was marked wishlist because it asks for a new feature: a
warning about long lines when visiting a file.

The bug report about slow redisplay in this case and in similar cases
is bug#13675, and it is not marked wishlist.

> If we can't solve the issue with long lines in the display code, maybe
> we should do something like this by default?

Practical and detailed proposals, let alone patches, in that direction
will be most welcome.

But please don't forget that long lines could materialize not just
when a file is first visited, but also as result of its editing, or
more generally when some text is generated by editing, even if the
buffer doesn't visit any file.  Bonus points for displaying such
warnings in those cases as well.

TIA