Subject: bug#22118: 23.2; Hitting ^W in a search selects the wrong word.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 2015 09:25:50 -0000

Hello, Jan-Mark.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:

> To reproduce this bug create a file that ends in the last 7 lines in
> this message (it will work if you open this message in emacs).

> Put the cursor at the first ''aap'' (line 2) hit ^S^W^W (''aap_noot'' at
> line 2, now is highlighted). Hit ^S^S^S (Failing the I-search since the last
> ''aap_noot'' (at line 6) has been reached, call this 'last-occurrence' state).

> Now hit ^W^W^W^W . Somewhere the state of 'last-occurrence' and add more
> to the search string conflict, because it adds ''_aap'' for every ^W and
> the edit window is not being updated.

I can confirm this behaviour is still present in the latest development
sources.

> Note that if you are not in 'last-occurrence' state, there is no
> problem, even at the last line. This bug only manifests itself if ^S has
> been hit until it shows "Failing the I-search" in the minibuffer.

Why is this behaviour a bug?  I think that the effect of ^W in
"last-occurrence" state is probably undefined in the manual.  Adding
"_aap" to the search string for each ^W does give the user feedback that
the ^W has actually been received and processed.

What do you think should happen in these circumstances?  Does the current
behaviour actually give you problems?

> Regards,

> Jan-Mark

> 1 miesmiesmies
> 2 aap_noot_mies
> 3 miesmiesmies
> 4 aap_noot_does
> 5 miesmiesmies
> 6 aap_noot_aap
> 7 miesmiesmies

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).