Subject: bug#22117: 25.1.50; eww: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

From: Alexis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2015 19:05:22 +1100

Vaidheeswaran C <[email-masked]> writes:

> M-x eww 
> http://www.projectmadurai.org/pm_etexts/utf8/pmuni0003_01.html
>
> Contacting host: www.projectmadurai.org:80 error in process 
> filter: shr-descend: Variable binding depth exceeds 
> max-specpdl-size error in process filter: Variable binding depth 
> exceeds max-specpdl-size

The W3 markup validator service reports 104 errors in the markup 
of that page:

https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projectmadurai.org%2Fpm_etexts%2Futf8%2Fpmuni0003_01.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=HTML+3.2&group=0

Looking at the markup, some issues that i'm guessing might 
contribute to the above error are:

* Two opening `body' tags on lines 14 and 15, without any 
accompanying closing `/body' tags;

* An opening `dd' on line 44, without any accompanying closing 
`/dd' tag.

As i understand it, major browsers like Firefox and Chrom(e|ium) 
need substantial amounts of code to (relatively) gracefully handle 
malformed HTML; someone familiar with `shr.el' might like to 
comment on the cost/benefit ratio of writing code to handle the 
malformed HTML in this instance.

Alexis.