Subject: server-socket-dir and make-temp-file

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:28:19 +0100

server-socket-dir is by default a directory in /tmp. With CVS emacs
it also takes the TMPDIR environment variable into account.
Shouldn't this variable be initialized using make-temp-file so that
it obeys any customization of temporary-file-directory?

Actually, I ran the following command in the emacs directory
$ grep "\"/tmp\"" lisp/*el lisp/*/*el
Browsing through the matches, it seems to me that
pmail-mime-attachment-dirs-alist and url-temporary-directory
should be updated, too.

A related issue: I do not quite understand a piece of code like

  (make-temp-file
   (concat (file-name-as-directory
            (or (getenv "TMPDIR") "/tmp"))
            "artist-stdin."))

used in the function artist-system. If the PREFIX arg of
make-temp-file is an absolute directory as in the example above,
make-temp-file will ignore any user customization of
temporary-file-directory. The function ps-run-make-tmp-filename
behaves similarly.

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-03-27 on tfkp07